Travelling - with a dog by plane - my holiday begins

Finally it is Saturday, I am thrilled cause today my small holiday begins. Today I will take a plane to Pisa, Italy. One of the resons why I have decided to get a Yorkshire Terrier is the mall size of this breed, which makes travelling so much easier and more convenient. I travel regularly, mainly Europe. However, there are still many places, which I have not explored yet ;-) so there is always a new place to see. Today I do not take my dog with myself, Pippi will stay with my family, but of course I do not exclude the possibility of taking her with me on board in future! I would like to take her for a long walk along the seaside! In the place where I live it is not possible (I live close to the mountains but far from the seaside) When I reach Pisa, I want to travel to a seaside spot. Although this time I do not take my dog, while being in Italy I will pay much attention to dog issues. Maybe I will drop in to a pet store, or take some photos of the local dogs ;-) When it comes to travelling by plane with a dog, Ryanair does not accept pets on board, except from guide dogs, click here to read more about this airline regulations I am disappointed with their strict pet policy.So... Which airlines can you take pets on? source cheapflights.co.uk
If you're flying internationally, you've got a good choice of airlines. British Airways carries pets not in the cabin but on British Airways World Cargo (via a Pet Travel Agent). Virgin Atlantic allows cats and dogs to travel in the cargo hold to and from Barbados, Boston, Dubai, Hong Kong, New York JFK and Newark, Johannesburg, Los Angeles, Miami, Orlando, San Francisco, Sydney, Washington (there are seasonal services to Chicago, Vancouver and Cape Town). The minimum cost from the UK is £335 and seasonal surcharges may apply. KLM - small cats and dogs weighing up to 6kg (13lbs) (including a kennel or travel bag) may be taken into the cabin. Reservations must be made at least 48 hours in advance of travel. Household pets (cats and dogs) may travel as check-in baggage too. Alternatively, pets can be transported as freight with Air France-KLM Cargo. This is the option for heavier animals (and their kennels) that weigh more than 75kg (165lbs) for flights to Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Kenya, South Africa or the United Arab Emirates. Lufthansa carries pets in the cabin (up to 8kg) or as cargo (in a container that is IATA approved). Whichever airline you choose to fly with, you will always need to call and reserve your pet's travel. While some airlines allow pets in the cabin, others do not and while there is always an administrative charge for the transport of animals, these can vary hugely by airline. Research all these factors before you select a carrier.
American Airlines:
Pets traveling in the cabin require a reservation to ensure no more than seven pets are booked on any single flight. (...) You will be asked to complete a checklist with an agent. Here are a few of the questions as examples: Are separate food/watering dishes securely attached and accessible without opening the kennel? When was the last time the pet was fed and offered water? Have you complied with all government requirements for international destinations? Have you provided an original, valid health certificate for checked pets? Can the pet sit, stand and rest comfortably without touching any of the sides of the kennel?
5 tips for taking small dogs on planes according to discovery.com:
He loves exploring new sights and smells and he's thrilled to go wherever you go. An open car door is an invitation to an adventurous road trip. Your dog seems to be made for the jet-setting life. Or is he? Before booking that flight and packing a doggie knapsack, take time to consider all aspects of your dog's temperament and your trip plans.
  1. Book Your Flight Early
  2. Get a Vet Check
  3. Prepare Your Small Dog
  4. Get Ready for Take-off
  5. Help your Dog Adjust on Arrival
plane winga plane wing Plane Spotting at ORDa plane ryanairRyanair
the famous tower of Pisa
...

Comments